Dubuque Wahlert will look to defend its title this weekend when the girl’s state high school soccer tournament opens in Muscatine. The Golden Eagles downed cross-town rival Hempstead in a Monday regional final and coach Steve Tschiggfrie says this will be a much different club that bids for another crown. He says they came into the season with an all-new team and had just hoped to finish with a winning season.Tschiggfrie says being the defending champ brings with it a level of expectations. He says the kids are living up to the challenge thus far.He says as the tournament field narrows the games will become a lot closer.Wahlert plays Iowa City High in Friday’s quarterfinal round. The teams traded 2-0 decisions during the regular season.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- ARL of Iowa rescues 24 cats from ‘deplorable’ conditions
- Deadline nears to nominate Iowans of character for awards
- Supreme Court rules in favor of Iowa Legislators in lawsuit involving voting laws
- Dry February keeps most of state in drought conditions
- This is the Iowa Day of Kindness, so be Iowa Nice!