Winning may not be everything — but it sure helps the three cities that’re home to Iowa’s state universities. Cedar Falls Tourism and Visitors Bureau manager Kim Burger says a winning U-N-I football team leads to more dollars spent by fans who seem to be happier when the team is doing well.Ames Chamber of Commerce Executive Director David Maahs says the same thing is true in the home of the Cyclones. He says the attendance at Cyclone games swells as they do win and that increases the amount of money spent in Ames.Iowa City Chamber of Commerce President Patrick Guard says it’s not just the black-and-gold fans who spend money during Hawkeye games. He says visiting teams also bring a lot of fans along that spend money.Guard says fans from Nebraska and Wisconsin have proven to be the biggest spenders in past years.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Iowa Supreme Court throws out search that led to charge against Texas trucker
- DeSantis would put National School Choice plan in comprehensive tax package
- Iowa food bank shatters all-time record as specter of food insecurity looms larger
- Iowa United First Aid program helps improve rural emergency response
- Iowans see benefits in raising goats for milk