A Clinton attorney has been indicted for stealing his mother’s Social Security benefits after her death.Steven Mayer is accused of fraudulently securing payment and failing to report his mother’s death. Hazel Mayer died in February of 1997. Steven Mayer allegedly took her Social Security checks since then and through May of this year. It’s unclear how much money is involved. If convicted in the two-count indictment, Mayer could face up to 15 years in prison and fines. His arraignment in federal court is December 3rd. It’s unclear how or if the indictments will impact his license to practice law.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Iowa Supreme Court throws out search that led to charge against Texas trucker
- DeSantis would put National School Choice plan in comprehensive tax package
- Iowa food bank shatters all-time record as specter of food insecurity looms larger
- Iowa United First Aid program helps improve rural emergency response
- Iowans see benefits in raising goats for milk