An F-D-A report finds a very small amount of a poison used to euthanize animals is showing up in pet food that’s sold in some Iowa stores. The report says the Pentobarbital likely came from rendered animal parts used to make the pet food. The F-D-A says the poison was in very small amounts and was virtually harmless. Tom Colvin, director of the Animal Rescue League of Iowa, says it’s disgusting to think our pets are, in part, eating other former pets.A spokesperson for the Iowa Department of Agriculture says no dog or cat food made in Iowa comes from euthanized animals, but that does not apply to pet food brands made in other states and shipped to Iowa for sale. Colvin says just because this very small amount of poison may not be hurting pets does not make it right. Colvin says it’s another reason why society needs to address the overpopulation of animals brought to shelters.
You are here: / / Report finds poison in pet food