Two more people have been found sick with the West Nile virus. The public health department today said an 82-year-old woman in Wright County is recovering at a hospital from infection with the mosquito-borne encephalitis virus. A man also recovering in Jones County never was hospitalized. He’s 37, the first of Iowa’s half dozen victims to be under the age of fifty. Most victims in other states who’ve died of West Nile were old and in extremely poor health to begin with. Iowa’s had no fatalities blamed on the virus. Though preliminary tests indicate West Nile in the latest victims, the state will send their tests to the Centers for Disease Control for final confirmation.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- House bill calls for reviewing citations with all nursing home staff
- Help is available if you can’t resist betting during March Madness
- ‘Lost winter’ wraps up with Iowa’s 2nd warmest February on record
- Sewing Days planned as work resumes on large-scale Sioux City art project
- Bill to crack down on SWATTING calls awaits governor’s signature