An Inwood couple is charged with child endangerment for allegedly leaving two of their children home alone when their house caught fire. The Lyon County Sheriff’s department says Jeremy and Laurie Rutledge were delivering news papers early Friday morning while their 8 year old son, and 3 year old daughter were left home alone. A neighbor heard the 8-year-old yelling shortly after 7am Friday and went to the Rutledge residence and found the house on fire, and the three year old still inside. John Fluit Jr. entered the residence and rescued the child. The majority of the home’s interior was gutted by the fire. The fire was believed to have been started by one of the two children playing with matches. The Rutledges have been released on bond, and are awaiting court appearances on one count each of child endangerment. Lyon County Sheriff Blythe Bloemendaal said Monday that no D-H-S action has been taken to remove the children from the parents care. The family is staying with relatives.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- DeSantis hits 99th county, Trump rallies with crowd in two Iowa cities
- Creighton economist finds recession signs in Mid-America region
- Iowa’s animal shelters are running out of space to keep dogs and cats
- Iowa’s congressional delegation votes to expel Santos
- Iowa Supreme Court rules notes left at home with rainbow flag were a hate crime