The Iowa Department of Natural Resources has cited the city of Strawberry Point for wastewater violations. The D-N-R says the city violated its discharge permit by sending wastewater into Fenchel Creek south of the city. The waste water eventually ended up in the Maquoketa River and Backbone Lake. They city’s permit allowed for discharging wastewater at certain times of the year, but the city had been discharging the water at other times as well without notifying the D-N-R and without taking samples. The D-N-R is also looking at disciplinary action against the wastewater treatment plant operator Brad Chambers.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Mississippi River bridge at Lansing could remain closed for months
- Thousands of dollars missing in apparent hack of Dyersville city email
- House Democrats back state directed retirement savings accounts
- Hinson says temporary federal spending plan likely by Friday deadlie
- Sen. Grassley to question Sec. Vilsack on passage of Farm Bill