A Des Moines man died in a house fire early this morning. A spokesperson for the Des Moines fire department says city street cleaners noticed smoke coming from the house just after two A.M. and called firefighters. Firefighters entered the house where they found smoke and flames in the basement and on the main floor. In searching the home they found the victim, 40-year-old Joel Lambert, behind a closed bathroom door. Lambert, who was alone in the house, was pronounced dead at the scene. The spokesperson says the cause of the fire hasn’t been determined, but it does appear to have started in the basement — and does not appear suspicious. The report also says there was one smoke detector in the home, but it did not have a battery.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Error causes Iowa Lottery to report wrong numbers for Monday Powerball drawing
- UNI receives large donation to help with Campanile renovation
- November 2023 in Iowa? Likely among 20 driest on record
- Casey DeSantis a key surrogate for DeSantis2024 in Iowa
- Fire damages buildings in downtown Webster City