Iowans who drive the big rigs will soon be part of a safety net to help fight terrorism. Scott Weiser, the president of the Iowa Motor Truck Association, says the program is called “Highway Watch.” The national program trains a select group of drivers to provide information to law enforcement. Weiser says Iowa truckers selected for the program will soon undergo the training. He says they’ll be trained to recognize things that aren’t right and will be trained to report the proper information to police. Weiser says truckers were a natural choice for the job.He says drivers are at key transportation facilities all the time and are in the areas where there might be a problem. Weiser says there are three million drivers nationwide and some 50 to 100 thousand will be trained for the watch program.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Iowa Supreme Court throws out search that led to charge against Texas trucker
- DeSantis would put National School Choice plan in comprehensive tax package
- Iowa food bank shatters all-time record as specter of food insecurity looms larger
- Iowa United First Aid program helps improve rural emergency response
- Iowans see benefits in raising goats for milk