A suspicious fire at the Ottumwa airport early this morning destroyed a vacant World War II-era barracks. Forty-eight firemen from six area fire departments responded to the blaze, which was reported shortly after midnight. Fire crews are still on the scene, putting out flare ups. The building, which sits on the edge of the airport property, has been declared a total loss. There were no injuries. Officials say the utilities in the building had been turned off prior to the fire, and Wes Woden of the Wappello County Rural Fire Department says that’s one reason investigators are calling it a suspicious fire.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Iowa Supreme Court throws out search that led to charge against Texas trucker
- DeSantis would put National School Choice plan in comprehensive tax package
- Iowa food bank shatters all-time record as specter of food insecurity looms larger
- Iowa United First Aid program helps improve rural emergency response
- Iowans see benefits in raising goats for milk