The legends of golf tee off beginning this morning in West Des Moines as the Champions Tour returns with the opening round of the Allianz Championship. Former Quad City Open champion D.A. Weibring is in his first season on the Champions Tour after a lengthy career on the PGA Tour. He is playing the Glen Oaks Country Club for the first time this week. He says it doesn’t look like Iowa as it has a change of elevation. He says there are a couple of greens that look severe, but it’s the type of golf course you could enjoy playing every day. Weibring expects the course to change as the weather conditions do. He says he’ll have a better feel for it playing in competition. He says the golf course sets up for some good scoring if you get it on the right level of the greens. Weibring says he has discovered the Champions Tour offers a deep field with a number of golfers capable of winning each week. He says there are guys who’ve really found their comfort zone. He says they’ve found their “Mulligan Tour” where they have a chance to play well now after maybe not playing their best golf on the regular tour. Bob Gilder is the defending champion.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- A 6% pay raise still means Iowa judges will earn less than judges in surrounding states
- Sound and video updates planned for Iowa State sports venues
- State universities requesting room and board increases to handle higher costs
- House bill calls for reviewing citations with all nursing home staff
- Help is available if you can’t resist betting during March Madness