The Girls’ State Basketball Tournament resumed this afternoon with the semifinal round in class 2A. Maquoketa Valley was ready for the rematch of last years title game as the Wildcats scored the first six points of the game. But it served as a wake-up call for defending champion Underwood. The top ranked Eagles scored the next seven points then outscored then outscored the Wildcats 14-4 in the second quarter to build a 14-point advantage at the break enroute to a 44-29 win. Maquoketa Valley coach Tom Pestka says there were a lot of times this season when they could’ve quite, but he says pulled together to win the district and the regional and made it to state. Pestka says they had a shot, and that’s all you can ask for.Underwood center Jamie Boyd says their defense picked up after a slow start. She says the defense has been their strong point all year. Maquoketa Valley ends the season 24-3.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Creighton economist finds recession signs in Mid-America region
- Iowa’s animal shelters are running out of space to keep dogs and cats
- Iowa’s congressional delegation votes to expel Santos
- Iowa Supreme Court rules notes left at home with rainbow flag were a hate crime
- Grassley says little interest in Senate GOP for ObamaCare repeal