Des Moines police say the two people found shot to death Sunday in an east-side home died in a murder-suicide. Police Sergeant Todd Dykstra says James Samuel was 52 and Jeanne Flaherty was 48. Dykstra says it’s unclear exactly what led to the shotgun shootings. The woman was an acquaintance of the male and had been staying at the residence, but Dykstra says they were not boyfriend-girlfriend. He says the two were not romantically involved. Dykstra says it appears Samuel shot and killed Flaherty, then turned the gun on himself. Flaherty had been assaulted earlier on Sunday, got medical treatment and filed charges against Samuel. The shootings took place last night. Reports say Samuel had been booked 29 times at the Polk County Jail since 1990.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- A sure sign spring is coming: The Home + Garden Show opens today
- Iowa farmer calls on Congress to pass ‘climate-smart’ Farm Bill
- Public weighs in on AEA changes during hearing at Iowa Capitol
- Author of memoir about being a foster care parent to speak in Iowa tonight
- Teen dies in Howard County farm accident