Evacuations were ordered in Oskaloosa shortly before noon today when a dangerous chemical vapor was found leaking from a rail car in the southern Iowa town.

Emergency management officials are worried the vapor may be spread by strong winds in the area. Students from Oskaloosa’s Christian School were evacuated and taken to another location. Students from William Penn University were evacuated as well. Emergency teams went door-to-door, asking residents in the area to clear out of their homes.

Officials say it’s hydrochloric acid that’s leaking from the Union Pacific railcar. A hazardous materials cleanup team from Ottumwa is working at the site. Hydrochloric acid is highly corrosive.