Students at two schools in northern Iowa were served green beans involved in a nationwide recall, but officials say no students were sickened by the beans. The green beans from the New Era Canning Company in Michigan were under a recall because they may have been tainted with botulism according to federal officials.
The beans were served at Sheffield-Chapin/Meservey-Thornton and at Rockwell-Swaledale earlier this month, but according to the F.D.A. no students got sick. Botulism poisoning can cause dry mouth, problems with vision, slurred speech. It can also cause difficulty in swallowing and muscle weakness. If untreated, botulism poisoning can lead to paralysis. Parents in the two districts have been told about the beans.