The U.S. Department of Defense is reporting a soldier from northwest Iowa died in Iraq Tuesday from injuries sustained in a non-combat incident. Specialist Christopher Opat was 29. He graduated from Crestwood High School in 1999 and attended Iowa Lakes Community College in Emmetsburg before enlisting in the Army in 2003. Opat served three-and-a-half years in Germany and was on his third deployment to Iraq.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Iowa Senate passes religious freedom bill on 31-16 vote
- Supreme Court considers Sioux City case involving the right to call a lawyer
- Webster City man facing animal neglect charges
- Iowan leading board of national council that promotes composting
- Report: Cancer cases are rising in Iowa while cancer deaths fall