Two men in critical condition at University of Iowa burn center are suspected of making illegal drugs in a home lab that blew up overnight in Newton. Firefighters think a meth lab sparked an explosion and fire that seriously injured two young men early this morning. Brian Moomaw, a battalion chief with the Newton Fire Department, says 19-year-old Marty Mc-Connell and 18-year-old Caleb Edder were badly burned over large parts of their bodies and had most of their clothes burned off. They were outside when firefighters arrived. Moomaw says the first-floor apartment was engulfed in flames when the crews arrived about 3:30 this morning. While the fire was contained to that one apartment, other units had smoke damage. All the other occupants got out unharmed. Authorities say there may have been others in the apartment when the explosion happened and they’re looking for other people.
Two critically injured in meth lab explosion in Newton
November 26, 2002 by