A second person badly burned in a fire last (Monday) night has died. Poweshiek County Sheriff Tom Sheets says they got a call to a fire in a house in Brooklyn around 8 p.m. The sheriff says the fire began in the living room near a recliner, then spread up the wall and throughout much of the house.
The two people taken from the fire with injuries were identified as Larry and Juanita Gwin, both 68 years old. They were taken to a hospital in Grinnell, then sent to a University of Iowa burn unit. Both later died.
Investigators went through the home after firefighters got the fire out and say there was a lot of damage. They’ve ruled it an accidental fire, and think the cause likely was careless or unattended smoking. Both the victims died this morning at the hospital.