Scott County Sheriff Mike Bladel (blay’-dull) says he will start sendingprisoners to other counties and out of state this week to deal with jailovercrowding. State officials say the jail can hold only 214 prisonerswhile it has been averaging 245. Bladel says they may send some prisoners asfar as eastern Illinois.Bladel says it will cost 25-hundred dollars a day to transport and houseabout 50 of the prisoners in other counties. Bladel says all thetransporting of prisoners will not take away from his deputies’ otherduties.Scott County voters recently turned down a 48-million bond referendum tobuild a new jail. Bladel says he will begin transporting the prisoners toother counties on Thursday.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Record highs possible today in the 70s, with wind chills tomorrow night below zero
- Farmers are concerned about dry soil headed into planting season
- DNR confirms dead gray wolf found near Davenport
- ARL of Iowa rescues 24 cats from ‘deplorable’ conditions
- Deadline nears to nominate Iowans of character for awards