About eight-hundred southwest Iowa students will enter a time warp today. Students from 14 school districts are participating in “Mason/Dixon EducationDay at a park in Creston. Throughout the day, students will rotate through23 demonstrations and hear from Civil War reinactors about what life in Iowawas like during the War Between the States.Union County tourism coordinator Kathy Parmenter says 26 reinactors will beon hand. Students participate in hands-on demonstrations, including an infantry drilland dances which were popular during the period.Friday’s education day kicks off a three-day Mason/Dixon Days celebration inCreston. On Saturday, famous Civil War battles will be reinacted. There’sto be a ladied “high tea,” a dance and moonlight tours of the campsites.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- ARL of Iowa rescues 24 cats from ‘deplorable’ conditions
- Deadline nears to nominate Iowans of character for awards
- Supreme Court rules in favor of Iowa Legislators in lawsuit involving voting laws
- Dry February keeps most of state in drought conditions
- This is the Iowa Day of Kindness, so be Iowa Nice!