The top republican in the Iowa Legislature is considering a bid for governor. House Speaker Brent Siegrist of Council Bluffs is 48 years old, and is entering his 17th year in the legislature.Siegrist says democrat incumbent Tom Vilsack would be a “formidable opponent.”Siegrist would also consider running for the U-S House of Representatives, but he says being a Congressman isn’t as appealing as being Governor.Siegrist says he’ll have to make a final decision by next month.Siegrist, who was born in Council Bluffs and still calls it home, was a schoolteacher and wrestling coach before he was elected to the House. He’s married and the father of a five-year-old and two-year-old. Senate Republican Leader Stewart Iverson of Dows is also considering running for Governor in 2002.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- House bill calls for reviewing citations with all nursing home staff
- Help is available if you can’t resist betting during March Madness
- ‘Lost winter’ wraps up with Iowa’s 2nd warmest February on record
- Sewing Days planned as work resumes on large-scale Sioux City art project
- Bill to crack down on SWATTING calls awaits governor’s signature