Younkers Department Stores will have to pay nearly 300-thousand dollars to a former employee in Cedar Rapids. Fifty-seven-year-old Wilma McGrane worked at the LinnDale Mall in Cedar Rapids, but after 22 years with the company, she was fired. McGrane sued, and after a weeklong trial, a federal jury found Younkers guilty of sex discrimination. The jury awarded McGrane 116-thousand dollars in back pay and 165-thousand for emotional stress. An attorney for Younkers says the company does not believe the evidence in the case was consistent with the verdict.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- House bill calls for reviewing citations with all nursing home staff
- Help is available if you can’t resist betting during March Madness
- ‘Lost winter’ wraps up with Iowa’s 2nd warmest February on record
- Sewing Days planned as work resumes on large-scale Sioux City art project
- Bill to crack down on SWATTING calls awaits governor’s signature