Local officials say the damage from a tornado that hit Independence will total at least one million dollars. The Buchanan County Emergency Management Coordinator says 31 homes, 15 businesses and 20 vehicles were damaged by the twister. Numerous power lines were knocked down and three women sustained minor injuries from flying debris. The tornado that touched down Monday morning had winds of 70 to 100 miles an hour. The twister cut an eight mile wide swath that was about three miles long.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Iowa Senate passes religious freedom bill on 31-16 vote
- Supreme Court considers Sioux City case involving the right to call a lawyer
- Webster City man facing animal neglect charges
- Iowan leading board of national council that promotes composting
- Report: Cancer cases are rising in Iowa while cancer deaths fall