Red Cross Chapters across Iowa and the world are celebrating a birthday today. Today is world Red Cross/Red Crescent Day. Sherry DeBartolo of the Central Iowa Chapter of the Red Cross says it’s the birthday of founder Henry Dunant. DeBartolo says while the Red Cross is well known across the U-S for responding to natural disasters and fires, Red Cross professionals and volunteers still respond to needs around the world.DeBartolo says some Iowans are among the Red Cross volunteers who fly around the world.DeBartolo says volunteers abroad undergo training that’s much different from the disaster training given to volunteers who stay in the U-S. She says international volunteers often need to have a medical or some other specialized background.DeBartolo says individual chapters have developed their own celebrations for today’s event. The Central Iowa Chapter is holding a celebration from two until five p-m today at its Des Moines office.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- ARL of Iowa rescues 24 cats from ‘deplorable’ conditions
- Deadline nears to nominate Iowans of character for awards
- Supreme Court rules in favor of Iowa Legislators in lawsuit involving voting laws
- Dry February keeps most of state in drought conditions
- This is the Iowa Day of Kindness, so be Iowa Nice!