Things may be a little bit drier in Iowa City starting today, and it has nothing to do with the weather. A new city ordinance that limits “twofers” and other drink specials goes into effect today. Mike McConnell, manager of “The Fieldhouse” bar in Iowa City, says some members of the city council wanted to forbid anyone under the age of 21 from even entering a bar, and the ordinance was a compromise.McConnell doesn’t think the ordinance will affect alcohol sales, just the way it’s sold. He says it’s more of a customer service procedure.McConnell says there are loopholes in the ordinance that young people are going to find. “All-you-can-drink” specials and games that offer alcohol as a reward have been prohibited by the ordinance that goes into effect today.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- ARL of Iowa rescues 24 cats from ‘deplorable’ conditions
- Deadline nears to nominate Iowans of character for awards
- Supreme Court rules in favor of Iowa Legislators in lawsuit involving voting laws
- Dry February keeps most of state in drought conditions
- This is the Iowa Day of Kindness, so be Iowa Nice!