-The Iowa State Fair closed out its 11-day run yesterday and likely made a run for the million mark in attendance. After many consecutive long days and nights of loudspeaker announcements, state fair spokeswoman Kathy Swift doesn’t have much voice left, but she -is- still able to croak out the news that attendance was extremely good. She says pre-fair concerns about the economy, gasoline prices and the weather didn’t scare fairgoers away. She says fair attendance was heavy throughout almost all of the event’s run and the people were riding plenty of rides and buying lots of food and merchandise. She says many vendors set sales records.It’ll be about two weeks before this year’s total is official. She says record attendance estimates were set on four of the 11 days this year. Last year’s total of 978-thousand-841 fairgoers is the all-time record.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- House bill calls for reviewing citations with all nursing home staff
- Help is available if you can’t resist betting during March Madness
- ‘Lost winter’ wraps up with Iowa’s 2nd warmest February on record
- Sewing Days planned as work resumes on large-scale Sioux City art project
- Bill to crack down on SWATTING calls awaits governor’s signature