A couple large fires plagued eastern Iowa’s Scott County over the weekend. Davenport firefighters battled a smokey fire Saturday at Alter’s Scrap Processing, a junk car recycler. The fire started in a grinding machine that shreds upholstery and plastic to make a fluffy material that covers landfills. In LeClaire, firefighters had to call in help from neighboring departments Sunday night when fire broke out in an abandoned building. The blaze was suspicious and began in the basement of a building that once housed an upscale restaurant.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Sen. Grassley to question Sec. Vilsack on passage of Farm Bill
- Just back from the border, Nunn talks with Iowans about stopping opioids
- Wife of murdered Iowa prison guard calls for expanding union rights
- Bill tightens Iowa’s ban on foreign ownership of farmland
- House sends governor repeal of Iowa’s gender balance rule for boards, commissions