Iowans serving abroad in the war on terrorism will soon be munching those familiar “thin mints” and “savannahs”. Soldiers from the Davenport-based 339th Military Police Company can look forward to a reminder of home — Girl Scout cookies. A Bettendorf Girl Scout troop has raised enough money to send a box of cookies to each of the roughly 100 members of the unit, who are guarding al-Qaida prisoners at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. The Scouts raised the money to buy the cookies in just five hours on Saturday at a Davenport shopping mall.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- ARL of Iowa rescues 24 cats from ‘deplorable’ conditions
- Deadline nears to nominate Iowans of character for awards
- Supreme Court rules in favor of Iowa Legislators in lawsuit involving voting laws
- Dry February keeps most of state in drought conditions
- This is the Iowa Day of Kindness, so be Iowa Nice!