When they cut the ribbon to dedicate a new elementary school addition in Latimer this weekend, it’ll mark the culmination of a significant private fundraising campaign in the CAL district. The new addition to the school was financed by a 205-thousand dollar federal grant, and 600-thousand dollars in private donations. Bill Latham of Alexander, chairman of the CAL school foundation, says raising private money to build a public school is unusual. While athletic and extracurricular facilities are often built or improved with private donations, Latham knows of no other school in Iowa that’s raised private money for an academic building. He says other schools are calling and asking for advice on fundraising.The private donors will gather for a celebration dinner Saturday evening. On Sunday afternoon, the mayors of Coulter, Alexander and Latimer will snip the ribbon to officially open the addition.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Haley calls Alabama debate a scrum, CNN to host Iowa debate in January
- Canadian National buying Iowa Northern Railway
- Report finds farmland holding value in face of economic issues
- Late Hollywood legend Norman Lear touted ‘I come from Des Moines’ (AUDIO)
- Check the labels before hanging holiday lights to avoid a fire