Vermont Senator Jim Jeffords, the only Independent in the U-S Senate, will headline Democrat Senator Tom Harkin’s annual fall fundraiser Sunday afternoon in Indianola. Jeffords used to be a Republican, but he says he’s comfortable helping a Democrat raise money. Jeffords says as an independent, he’s excited wherever he goes.Jeffords says his message to Iowans will be simple: don’t throw away Harkin’s seniority. He says having a senior Senator on the appropriations and agriculture committee, you benefit by keeping him there.Jeffords says Harkin is partly responsible for his switch from Republican to Independent. Last year, Harkin convinced the Republican-controlled Senate to spend more on education, but Republicans in the House balked, and Jeffords says that made up his mind.Jeffords’ switch last year from Republican to Independent meant Republicans lost control of the U-S Senate to Democrats. Harkin faces Republican Greg Ganske is the fall election.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Nunn says expelled US House, Senate members shouldn’t get gov’t pensions
- Congresswoman Hinson says legislation needed to address border issues
- Ida Grove woman charged in death of her young son
- Supreme Court reverses ruling giving Manchester man a third attempted murder trial
- DeSantis hits 99th county, Trump rallies with crowd in two Iowa cities