An armed standoff today near the Williamsburg exit on Interstate-80 ended peacefully early this morning. Williamsburg assistant police chief Marty Koch says a Williamsburg officer was on a routine patrol at the Williamsburg exit at about 1:30 this morning and saw a man putting air in a tire and recognized him as 37-year-old Ken Whitler of Grinnell, who was “wanted” for a probation violation. The cop approached, and Whitler fled on foot.Koch says law enforcement officers in the area arrived in moments to help corner Whitler in a field. Whitler had a weapon, but no shots were fired and he surrendered at about four o’clock — two-and-a-half hours after being discovered by the cop. He was taken to the Poweshiek County Jail to face his outstanding warrant, and Koch says he may face additional charges for this morning’s escapade. Whitler’s being held on a 15-thousand dollar bond on the probation violation.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- New challenge to law banning books that describe sex acts from Iowa schools
- Ernst saved from choking during Senate GOP lunch
- Error causes Iowa Lottery to report wrong numbers for Monday Powerball drawing
- UNI receives large donation to help with Campanile renovation
- November 2023 in Iowa? Likely among 20 driest on record