A man jailed in a multi-state crime spree says he’s been attacked. Tony Zappa says a bunch of other convicts sneaked into his cell at a prison in Leavenworth, Kansas, and stabbed him fifteen times in the head, neck and shoulders. A lawyer says Zappa told family members about the attack, after which he spent time in a prison hospital and then was placed in solitary confinement. The attorney says prison officials won’t talk about the man also known as Anthony Steven Wright, who was sentenced last month to life in prison. Zappa was convicted in a multistate crime spree a year and a half ago that included a shootout with authorities in Iowa and ended a few days after he kidnapped a teenage Nebraska girl. Authorities say while he was jailed during the trial, he damaged several jail cells, threatened the judge and other court officials, and slapped his own attorney in the courtroom.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- House bill calls for reviewing citations with all nursing home staff
- Help is available if you can’t resist betting during March Madness
- ‘Lost winter’ wraps up with Iowa’s 2nd warmest February on record
- Sewing Days planned as work resumes on large-scale Sioux City art project
- Bill to crack down on SWATTING calls awaits governor’s signature