The state’s Drug Czar is asking parents across Iowa to participate in “Take Five Iowa Day.” Marvin Van Haaften says parents need to simply set aside five minutes today to talk to their kids about the dangers of drugs.He says research shows that kids who learn about drugs at home are 50-percent less likely to use drugs. Van Haaften’s Office of Drug Control Policy sent out 40-thousand information sheets to schools for kids to take home to their parents.He says the sheets give parents tips for talking to kids based on their age.Van Haaften says a recent Iowa survey found 47-percent of middle and junior high school students admitted using alcohol, and 17 percent admitted using marijuana. He says that indicates the importance of having parents talk to their kids about the dangers of using drugs.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Iowa Supreme Court throws out search that led to charge against Texas trucker
- DeSantis would put National School Choice plan in comprehensive tax package
- Iowa food bank shatters all-time record as specter of food insecurity looms larger
- Iowa United First Aid program helps improve rural emergency response
- Iowans see benefits in raising goats for milk