Current events were evident at an international rugby competition in Hong Kong late last month. Jen Sinkler is from Montezuma and is a member of the U.S. women’s team. She says the effect of the war in Iraq and the SARS scare were very evident. She says there were a lot of boos when the men took the field and everyone wore masks all the time. Sinkler says the health concerns cut down the attendance during the tournament. She says the stadium that holds 40,000 was jammed last year, but only had about 30,000 this year. It is the second time Sinkler has competed with the U.S. team in Hong Kong. She says they didn’t do as well this year, finishing fourth. Sinkler is a member of the U.S. team that competes in the seven-player version of rugby. She will tryout for the 15-player U.S. team Easter weekend in the Twin Cities.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- ARL of Iowa rescues 24 cats from ‘deplorable’ conditions
- Deadline nears to nominate Iowans of character for awards
- Supreme Court rules in favor of Iowa Legislators in lawsuit involving voting laws
- Dry February keeps most of state in drought conditions
- This is the Iowa Day of Kindness, so be Iowa Nice!