The Edgewood-Colesburg School Board has been told it was wrong to fire a teacher over a party that preceded the deaths of four students. An adjudicator ruled the district reading teacher should be reinstated with full back pay and benefits. Carol Waltheart was fired in November 2000, a month and a half after an alcohol-related car crash killed four students from Edgewood and Colesburg as they returned from a party on Walthart’s farm near Colesburg. A test found the driver of the car had a blood-alcohol level nearly four times the legal limit. The school board will appeal the adjudicator’s finding to a district court.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- A 6% pay raise still means Iowa judges will earn less than judges in surrounding states
- Sound and video updates planned for Iowa State sports venues
- State universities requesting room and board increases to handle higher costs
- House bill calls for reviewing citations with all nursing home staff
- Help is available if you can’t resist betting during March Madness