Two defending champions are in the field as the multi-events begin today at the 94th Drake Relays. Radio Iowa’s Kip Janvrin owns the world record for the most decathalon wins at 34 and will begin his bid to extend his Drake Relays record to 14 victories as the decathalon begins. The native of Panora became the oldest US decathalete ever to compete in the Olympics at the 2000 Sydney games. the 37-year-old Janvrin won the double decathalon world championships last year in Finland. Meanwhile, former Iowa State standout Barbara Szlendakova bids for her third straight Heptathalon title. Szlendakova was fourth in the event as a senior at the ncaa championships in 2002. her biggest challenge may come from Meredith Davis who won NCAA Division Two titles in 2001 and 2002 at Morningside. Both events conclude on Thursday.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- A 6% pay raise still means Iowa judges will earn less than judges in surrounding states
- Sound and video updates planned for Iowa State sports venues
- State universities requesting room and board increases to handle higher costs
- House bill calls for reviewing citations with all nursing home staff
- Help is available if you can’t resist betting during March Madness