America’s focus in Iraq is expected to officially change gears tonight — from fighting to rebuilding — as President Bush delivers a speech from an aircraft carrier in the Pacific Ocean. Iowa Senator Tom Harkin says he anticipates hearing a few things in particular in tonight’s address.Harkin, a Democrat, says he expects Bush to commend the troops for their excellent performance and he hopes the President says it will be a multi-nation effort to rebuild and revitalize Iraq.The last time President Bush appeared on television for a prime-time speech was six weeks ago to announce war was underway in Iraq. A spokesman says Bush’s remarks will officially launch the reconstruction of Iraq. Many Iowa companies are being pegged to help in the effort, including the engineering and design firm Stanley Consultants of Muscatine, Terex Cedar Rapids Inc., which makes equipment that grinds up concrete rocks to be used for new concrete, and electronics equipment maker Rockwell Collins in Cedar Rapids.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Dubuque wins millions in federal money for flood protection system updgrade
- Iowa continues to see lack of dentists who will take Medicaid patients
- Contest to choose state’s best breaded pork tenderloin down to 5 establishments
- Cedar Rapids Schools closed after online threat
- Iowa’s DeJean and Jackson honored by B1G