Iowa Ag Secretary Patty Judge just returned from a trade mission to Cuba that included Iowa Congressman Leonard Boswell and several Iowa businessmen. Judge says defended the decision to go on the trip in the wake of the recent crack down on dissidents by Cuban President Fidel Castro.She says it’s her personal belief that it’s better to foster trade to open a country, rather than slap on an embargo. Judge says sending Iowa food products to Cuba will help the people there. She says when the people of Cuba have more of a taste of our food and culture, she says it will be to their advantage.Judge says letting Cubans see what America has to offer can foster changes. She says they more we interact with them, the more it fosters democracy. Judge says she was able to speak to Castro along with Congressman Boswell, and she says they talked with the Cuban President about the situation with the dissidents.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Sound and video updates planned for Iowa State sports venues
- State universities requesting room and board increases to handle higher costs
- House bill calls for reviewing citations with all nursing home staff
- Help is available if you can’t resist betting during March Madness
- ‘Lost winter’ wraps up with Iowa’s 2nd warmest February on record