The investigation is still underway into what sparked a weekend explosion near Oskaloosa that claimed an elderly man’s life. Officials haven’t yet determined the cause of the explosion that killed 89-year-old Lloyd Baker of Beacon, and destroyed his home at 833 Oskaloosa Road, Friday around 11:30 p.m. The explosion also caused some damage to a couple of nearby homes. Although the Associated Press reports a natural gas leak may have been the culprit, according to the Mahaska County Sheriff’s Department, it was most likely caused by propane gas. Oskaloosa fire chief Frank Glandon says the fire department and the state fire marshal’s office are working together in this investigation. Glandon adds sixteen firefighters were at the scene for about seven hours Friday night.
You are here: / / Gas leak may’ve caused deadly explosion in Beacon