With extremely cold temperatures this holiday weekend, Iowans need to be aware of heating and electrical hazards around the house. Alliant Energy spokesman Ryan Stensland says using a space heater isn’t always the best idea. Such space heaters are all the more dangerous if small children are around. Perhaps you got a new appliance or gadget that needs to be plugged in. Stensland says make sure not to overload the outlet. Use a power bar, not an extension cord, if you’re plugging in multiple appliances, lights or whatever. Stensland says if the heat ever does go out in your home, don’t use a natural gas stove to try and heat your house. Call the utility, then head to the home of a friend, relative or neighbor. Stensland says for more winter home heating tips, you can look on-line atwww.alliantenergy.com.
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
UNI receives grant to turn old photos into interactive exhibit
UNI receives grant to turn old photos into interactive exhibit - Radio Iowa
An archival photography project at the University of Northern Iowa has landed a federal grant to help its users ...
Home test - Radio Iowa
Unhealthy air detected in parts of the state from Canadian wildfire smoke
Unhealthy air detected in parts of the state from Canadian wildfire smoke - Radio Iowa
The wildfire smoke from Canada is back over Iowa once again. Brian Hutchins at the DNR Air Quality Bureau says ...
Banks in Sioux, Lyon County the target of check cashing fraud
Banks in Sioux, Lyon County the target of check cashing fraud - Radio Iowa
The Sioux and Lyon County Sheriff Departments are working with local police trying to identify individuals involved ...