What started out as a weekend camping excursion for a Cass County family turned tragic yesterday (Friday) evening when a child turned up missing in a river south of Lewis. The boy’s body was found in the Nishnabotna River, a half-mile west of the Cold Springs State Park. The boy’s mother said her family planned to set up camp on the sandbar near the river when she noticed her son missing. A frantic 9-1-1 call brought 14 area emergency response teams, including dive teams as far away as Clarinda and Red Oak. The incident began around 5:20 p.m. He was reportedly underwater for over an hour-and-a-half. No names have been relased pending notification of relatives.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Nunn says expelled US House, Senate members shouldn’t get gov’t pensions
- Congresswoman Hinson says legislation needed to address border issues
- Ida Grove woman charged in death of her young son
- Supreme Court reverses ruling giving Manchester man a third attempted murder trial
- DeSantis hits 99th county, Trump rallies with crowd in two Iowa cities