An industrial accident this (Wednesday) morning at the Cargill plant in Ottumwa killed one worker and injured several others. Ottumwa Fire and Dolice Departments and the Wapello Rural Fire Department were called to the plant at about 9:30 this morning. An Ottumwa policeman says part of a conveyor system in the plant collapsed, trapping at least one worker. Cargill Meat Solutions employees as well as fire and rescue personnel used devices to stabilize and raise the equipment in order to get the employee out. The worker was taken to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead. Plant managers expect the facility to be closed for a day or so as investigators look for a cause for the collapse.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Haley calls Alabama debate a scrum, CNN to host Iowa debate in January
- Canadian National buying Iowa Northern Railway
- Report finds farmland holding value in face of economic issues
- Late Hollywood legend Norman Lear touted ‘I come from Des Moines’ (AUDIO)
- Check the labels before hanging holiday lights to avoid a fire