An Oelwein man is recovering from injuries he received in an explosion and fire from a home improvement accident. Jeff Walker was in the process of using a can of spray paint on the shower stall in his basement last night (Sunday) when the knob broke off the paint can and it continued to spray.

The fumes from the paint were then ignited by the pilot light of the water heater. The fumes exploded, burning Walker’s hands. He was taken to the Oelwein hospital for treatment. The fire was confined to the basement of the home.