The oldest home in Main Amana was heavily damaged by smoke and fire this morning. Rozella Hahn runs the "Antiques and Things" business out of the home that’s owned by her son. Hahn says she got a call from the Sheriff around seven this morning and said the house was on fire. She was the first one there, and "Thank god I didn’t open the door, they said that would have been terrible."
Hahn says the fire trucks arrive shortly after. The fire was put out quickly, but Hahn says the smoke damage is extensive. "It must have smoldered all night," Hahn says, "because…boy I mean it’s a mess. Every corner is black, and everything is coated, and like baked on. It’s a mess. Hahn says the building in Main Amana was built right after the church in 1856. The building is still structurally sound despite the fire.
Hahn says there were holes burned in the ceilings, and the rafters were charred. The rafters and beams are original. Hahn says you could never tell how bad the inside is from looking at the outside. Hahn says firefighters believe the fire may’ve been started by wiring. Hahn doesn’t want to put a dollar amount on the damage just yet, and isn’t sure if she’ll try to restart the business.