Each state will be designing an alternative image for the flip side of thequarter — and the Iowa Senate has endorsed a resolution urging that Iowa’sbe of the “Five Sullivan Brothers” of Waterloo. Senator Pat Harper ofWaterloo says it’s important to remember the family which saw five sons diewhen their ship was sunk during World War Two.As a result of the family tragedy, military rules now forbid siblings fromserving on the same vessel. Senator Don Redfern of Cedar Falls says the Sullivan tragedy is a memorablechapter of Iowa history. Redfern says it is symbolic of the sacrafice Iowansmade in the war effort.The “Iowa” quarter will be minted in 2004.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- ARL of Iowa rescues 24 cats from ‘deplorable’ conditions
- Deadline nears to nominate Iowans of character for awards
- Supreme Court rules in favor of Iowa Legislators in lawsuit involving voting laws
- Dry February keeps most of state in drought conditions
- This is the Iowa Day of Kindness, so be Iowa Nice!