Skills that parents, coaches and officials need for working with young athletes will be the focus of an Iowa State University workshop in June. The “Sport for Youth Conference” will be sponsored by I-S-U’s College of Education and the department of health and human performance. Professor Rich Engelhorn says the main speaker will be Jim Thompson, the director of the Positive Coaching Alliance at Stanford University.Engelhorn says the increase in participation in youth sports has brought with it some problems. One is ill-prepared coaches and not just in terms of teaching the sport, but in teaching how to deal with children in a positive way so they learn sportsmanship and character development.Engelhorn says the conference will focus on the skills needed for youngsters to become successful in sports and life.The workshop on the I-S-U campus is June 2nd.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Iowa Supreme Court throws out search that led to charge against Texas trucker
- DeSantis would put National School Choice plan in comprehensive tax package
- Iowa food bank shatters all-time record as specter of food insecurity looms larger
- Iowa United First Aid program helps improve rural emergency response
- Iowans see benefits in raising goats for milk