High school baseball tournament action continues tonight across the state. In class 2A, fourth-ranked Mid-Prairie plays Mount Vernon in the final of a district loaded with teams from the Eastern Iowa Hawkeye Conference. Mid-Prairie coach Brian Miller says he was disappointed to see all the members of his conference in the same district as only one team would make it through.Mount Vernon opened tournament play by ousting top-ranked West Branch and will likely go with University of Iowa recruit Aaron Reasland on the mound. Miller says he’ll counter with one of two seniors.In a class 3A district final, fourth-ranked Decorah plays host to New Hampton. These teams met three times during the regular season and Decorah won all three, but Viking coach Dennis Olejniczak says that matters little now as everyone is on a “one shot” basis. Olejniczak says this is a great time for coaches and players as they work all season to try and get to state.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Sound and video updates planned for Iowa State sports venues
- State universities requesting room and board increases to handle higher costs
- House bill calls for reviewing citations with all nursing home staff
- Help is available if you can’t resist betting during March Madness
- ‘Lost winter’ wraps up with Iowa’s 2nd warmest February on record