Griff Jurgens will be the starting quarterback tonight when the Northern Iowa Panthers open the season against Wayne State of Michigan. Jurgens and sophomore Tom Petrie battled for the starting job.Both players saw extensive action a year ago. Jurgens took over for the injured Petrie in the ninth game. With nine starters back, Jurgens feels the offense can carry the team early on. He says the line is tough and they’ll lead the way until the young defense gets their feet under them.Last year U-N-I opened with a 34-14 win over Wayne State.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- ARL of Iowa rescues 24 cats from ‘deplorable’ conditions
- Deadline nears to nominate Iowans of character for awards
- Supreme Court rules in favor of Iowa Legislators in lawsuit involving voting laws
- Dry February keeps most of state in drought conditions
- This is the Iowa Day of Kindness, so be Iowa Nice!