“A tempest in a teapot” is how a spokesman for the Iowa Department of Human Services describes a controversy involving the new D-H-S director. D-H-S director Kevin Concannon’s previous job was as head of the state welfare agency in Maine. An accounting drama is unfolding as auditors search for an explanation of how nearly 19-million dollars was spent on Maine welfare programs. Roger Munns, a spokesman for the Iowa Department of Human Services, says there is no money missing in Maine, and Concannon is “completely confident” there’s a logical explanation for the accounting error. Concannon told his Iowa employees this morning that there were no “Enron accountants” in Maine, a reference to the Texas utility which spiraled into bankruptcy due to accounting tricks.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- A 6% pay raise still means Iowa judges will earn less than judges in surrounding states
- Sound and video updates planned for Iowa State sports venues
- State universities requesting room and board increases to handle higher costs
- House bill calls for reviewing citations with all nursing home staff
- Help is available if you can’t resist betting during March Madness