A strange odor is causing problems at a Waterloo school. The lingering smell forced district officials to cancel today’s classes at Logan Middle School. The problem first developed Wednesday morning when students and faculty reported smelling gas inside the building.
MidAmerican Energy officials investigated the smell, but found no signs of a gas leak inside or around the building. District officials then decided to dismiss students early because some of them reported feeling sick. Classes resumed Thursday morning, but were canceled again in the afternoon when the unusual odor returned.
As a precaution, district officials decided to cancel all classes and activities at the school today. Black Hawk County Health and Waterloo Fire Rescue officials are trying to find the source of the smell.